Monday, May 13, 2013

Sweet News!

On Saturday, Austin and I got up bright and early (I say this somewhat sarcastically as I have been unable to sleep past 6:30am for the entire week) and headed over to Pullman Regional Hospital for my glucose tolerance test.

I had to take the test to find out if I have gestational diabetes after some high results on my general glucose test. I was bugging out about this test from the moment I found out I had to take it as I seriously could not handle adding on to the stress of this already high-risk pregnancy. If I had GD, it would mean more modifications to my already pretty healthy diet, having to meet with a nutritionist, having to test my blood sugar four times a day, possibly having issues with Mila being overweight, and then issues with whether or not the diabetes would go away after the pregnancy.

Anyway, I had to fast for 14 hours before the test. We went in and had to have an immediate blood draw to make sure that I didn't have abnormally high results with nothing in my system other than water. About an hour later, they gave me a glucose drink.

For those of you who have not had to drink this sugary concoction, it is gross. Imagine the sweetest soda you have ever had, then make it a little sweeter and way more syrupy. As someone who hardly ever drinks soda and prefers water as the beverage of choice, it was not too fun to drink, especially as it was the only thing I was allowed to consume in an 18 hour block.

NOTE: They say that this test is 3 hours. THIS IS A LIE. It is 4 hours.

I drank the orange-flavored sugar goo (in less than 5 minutes, as ordered), and then had to wait an hour for my blood to be drawn again. Then another hour and another draw. Then one more.

Austin and I actually had a pretty good time exploring the hospital, sitting outside, dancing in the halls, reading random newspaper sections, looking at coupons (seriously), and playing with activity books for kids. I was so thankful he was there.

The nurse obviously couldn't tell me anything but we agreed that she could just look over at my results with each draw and it would not be her fault if I happened to catch her hand making a thumbs up or a thumbs down motion.

At one point, she gave me the middle of the road hand gesture, which sent me into a panic. But she returned a minute later and told me that she looked again, then gave a thumbs up.

I didn't even get hungry until 20 minutes till the end of the test!

I got a call this morning and officially DO NOT HAVE GESTATIONAL DIABETES!!! 

Austin says we should celebrate with donuts. 

HORRAY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment